Community

SUNWAY MALLS FEEDS UNDERPRIVILEGED IMPACTED BY MOVEMENT CONTROL ORDER

The Sunway Malls group have banded together to purchase boxes of prepared food from various F&B operators within their malls for community in need, who have been affected by the current Movement Control Order (MCO).

Amongst the NGOs and government bodies receiving the packed food are communities in Subang Jaya identified by Lions Club and MPSJ, Yayasan Chow Kit, communities in Cheras identified by What A Waste, communities identified by ADUN Seberang Jaya and Yayasan Kebajikan Suria Permas Johor Bahru. The mall group will include groceries for some of the communities as well.

This effort comes at the time when Prime Minister recently announced the extension of MCO to April 14.

“During the Movement Control Order, some of our restaurants and café has their kitchen still operating to cater to the demands of delivery and take-away. It is a win for all, if we purchase packed food from them to feed the underprivileged as it serves as a form of business sustainability with our F&B operators and fulfil our duty of corporate social responsibility,” said Kevin Tan, Chief Operating Officer of Sunway Malls.

Sunway Malls estimated the cost for this initiative to be approximately RM100,000.

“The extension of MCO is inevitable, as part of continuing measures to curb the spread of coronavirus any further, before we ensure Malaysia can get back on its tracks. Hence, it is imperative that we reach out and help each other, help those in need while we wait for our country to heal,” he added.

Previously, Sunway Malls announced a rent-free period for all of its non-essential business partners for 14-days before the announcement of MCO extension. The mall group is now looking into measures to further assist business partners after the MCO is prolonged.

“After a month of MCO to shield the long term outlook of the Malaysian economy and to curb a major virus outbreak, we are certainly looking forward to a rebound and normalisation in the coming quarters. All businesses, including us, need to take a look into our financials and revise our business plans for the year and next,” said Kevin, who reiterates that the supermarkets, pharmacies and convenience stores are still opened as usual in Sunway’s seven malls.

Sunway Malls is also progressively in touch with business partners and the community in need to provide any form of assistance that can be rendered during MCO.

Teoh

Recent Posts

IT IS MAY!

By Sarawakian The time to keep on talking and without much success in action has ended. Subang Jaya has had… Read More

5 days ago

SHOPPING CENTRE RETAIL

By Anthony Dylan Anak Frankie Jurem The shopping centre industry boomed in the late 80s and throughout the 90s in… Read More

1 week ago

RM82.9 MILLION LATER, SUBANG JAYA STILL REELING WITH GARBAGE PROBLEMS

By TEH ENG HOCK Subang Jaya started the new year with renewed hope that the city’s cleanliness would be better… Read More

2 weeks ago

THE CONTROVERSY OF THE LANDS NEAR AYER HITAM FOREST RESERVE

This article will provide some details regarding the controversial matter of the lands near the Ayer Hitam Forest. The lands… Read More

2 weeks ago

STOP STARTING, START FINISHING

By Paul Yung Every month when I sit down to write, I reflect on the patterns I’m seeing not just… Read More

2 weeks ago

EDITORIAL: SUBANG JAYA, WE NEED TO TALK AND THIS TIME, LET’S NOT SAY “TAK APA”

There is a very Malaysian phrase that sounds harmless until you realise it has quietly rewritten entire life stories. Subang… Read More

2 weeks ago