PUTRAJAYA, Dec 12 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today announced a major Cabinet reshuffle, the first under his Unity Government as it enters its second year of administration.
Anwar said the Cabinet reshuffle was done as the government needs to make adjustments to meet the current demands and situation.
Anwar who retained the Finance Minister portfolio, said that the reshuffle was necessary to address every change in terms of economic development and issues affecting the people, including the cost of living.
“International acceptance, which requires the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to take up more (crucial) tasks, as well as issues related to education, especially in our efforts to explore new areas…such as artificial intelligence, digital transformation, are the things that led me to consider making some adjustments (in the Cabinet) given the current situation and demands,” he said.
Anwar said the restructuring of the Cabinet was made after discussions with the leaders of the main component parties in the Unity Government, and the list of names was submitted to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah for consent.
The swearing-in ceremony of the new appointees took place at Istana Negara at 2:30 pm today.
Anwar’s announcement also saw the number of ministers in the Cabinet expanded from 28 to 31, while the number of deputy ministers was increased from 27 to 29, bringing the total number of Unity Government administrative members to 60.
Two ministries were restructured involving the Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment, and Climate Change, which is now split into the Ministry of Energy Transition and Public Utilities, and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Sustainability.
The Communications and Digital Ministry is also split into the Ministry of Communications and the Ministry of Digital.
When asked whether there will be another reshuffle should the ministers’ performance is unsatisfactory, Anwar expressed hope that the ministers would do their level best until the next general election.
“I hope, Insya-Allah, if the performance is good and satisfactory, and there are no new pressures or issues such as digital matters, I don’t think there should be any changes for us to continue with the plan for the next four years until the next general election,” he said.
Meanwhile, Anwar said that the 20 per cent salary cut for the Cabinet members in the Unity Government would continue, including for the new appointees.
“The salary cut will continue, except for the prime minister who has no salary,” he said.
On Dec 5 last year, Anwar announced that members of the Cabinet agreed to implement a 20 per cent salary cut each month until the country’s economy recovers.
He said that this decision was made out of concern for the problems faced by the people at the moment.– BERNAMA
By Sarawakian The time to keep on talking and without much success in action has ended. Subang Jaya has had… Read More
By Anthony Dylan Anak Frankie Jurem The shopping centre industry boomed in the late 80s and throughout the 90s in… Read More
By TEH ENG HOCK Subang Jaya started the new year with renewed hope that the city’s cleanliness would be better… Read More
This article will provide some details regarding the controversial matter of the lands near the Ayer Hitam Forest. The lands… Read More
By Paul Yung Every month when I sit down to write, I reflect on the patterns I’m seeing not just… Read More
There is a very Malaysian phrase that sounds harmless until you realise it has quietly rewritten entire life stories. Subang… Read More