Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook said though the proposal to the Cabinet would be made by Syed Saddiq, the ministry would be the one to conduct the study and work out the mechanism and framework on how to get the motorbike ride-hailing service operational.
Loke also gave the assurance that the government would not allow any monopoly of the ride-hailing service if the proposal gets the nod from the Cabinet.
“It has to be open to all and other private companies are welcome to operate the ride-hailing service here,” he told the press after viewing three refurbished four-car Monorail trains at the Bukit Nanas station, here, today.
On Monday, Syed Saddiq had expressed his intention to introduce Indonesia’s motorcycle ride-hailing service, Go-Jek, in Malaysia with the hope of helping motorcyclists earn income.
A meeting was held on the same day between Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Go-Jek founder Nadiem Makarim, Loke and Syed Saddiq on the matter.
Meanwhile, on the three four-car monorail trains that returned to service since last Friday after being refurbished from early this year, Loke said these trains would allow about 72,000 ridership daily.
“Many people have lamented the declining standards of the monorail service, including overcrowding and uncomfortable trains. This year, the ridership has dropped to about 30,000 passengers on the average.
“Two more trains will resume operation in November this year and the trial period will be six months,” he added.
Loke noted that the monorail train manufacturer, Scomi Transit Project Sdn Bhd, would fabricate seven new four-car sets of trains and Prasarana Malaysia Berhad would receive the trains in stages within 18 months starting June next year.
He said the My100 unlimited travel pass launched in December last year would contribute to more ridership in the future, adding that the ministry together with Prasarana would discuss on more initiatives to be implemented.– BERNAMA
By Sarawakian The time to keep on talking and without much success in action has ended. Subang Jaya has had… Read More
By Anthony Dylan Anak Frankie Jurem The shopping centre industry boomed in the late 80s and throughout the 90s in… Read More
By TEH ENG HOCK Subang Jaya started the new year with renewed hope that the city’s cleanliness would be better… Read More
This article will provide some details regarding the controversial matter of the lands near the Ayer Hitam Forest. The lands… Read More
By Paul Yung Every month when I sit down to write, I reflect on the patterns I’m seeing not just… Read More
There is a very Malaysian phrase that sounds harmless until you realise it has quietly rewritten entire life stories. Subang… Read More